Tuesday, February 2, 2010

4 Steps to Neurosis-Free Living....Ha!!!


I used to pride myself on not being neurotic, but newsflash - I can be neurotic. This is not a good look, I know. So I'm taking steps to remedy this situation.

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Remembering that not everyone thinks/feels/exists in the ways that I do. Projecting myself onto other people will never be helpful

2. Allowing situations and/or relationships to be what they are..."It is what it is" - recite and repeat

3. Not letting my imagination get the best of me, even if it is only for the moment.

*Side Note: So, I have a wild imagination. I blame it on my love of fiction and my mother's hippie-esque position on cable television. Alas, I grew up on PBS, Little House on the Prairie and lots and lots of books. My imagination reflects this and I can sometimes get a little carried away. While this mental voyage through lala land is always short lived, in the moment it can seem like either the sky is falling or expanding to unreasonable heights. So maybe learning to check myself wouldn't be such a bad idea.

4. Write it before I speak it. Put it down in my journal, let it marinate for a while and the come back to it later...and usually I find I sound like a dumbass. This one's just simple self-preservation.

Anything else?

..The Capricious Devotee..

1 comment:

  1. What's wrong with being brought up on Little House on the Prairie and PBS? I had a hippie mom who didn't like cable, too, and look how *I* turned out!

    ReplyDelete